The following is a list of 6 print publications for expats in the Netherlands and why you should know about them.
- The Local Expat - This newspaper began circulation in May 2007 and targets expats in The Hague and Wassenaar. Copies of the paper can be picked up for free at various locations throughout The Hague. This is the only publication on the list that I have not actually read myself, so if there are any readers from The Hague and surrounding areas who have read The Local Expat, I would love to hear your opinion.
- XM Magazine* - XM is a product of SC Multimedia which has also published BritSoc and AmCham newsletters as well as XM's sister publication, Family-Matters Magazine. The Magazine focuses on news, events, travel, and all things Dutch with the expat community in mind. (Note: over the summer, SC Multimedia stopped circulating the magazine).
- Family-Matters Magazine* - The sister publication of XM Magazine, Family-Matters caters to families in the Netherlands. Tips, advice, product recommendations, events and more are offered to expat families within the magazines pages. (Note: over the summer, SC Multimedia stopped circulating the magazine).
- The Holland Times* - A newspaper delivering Dutch news in English for the expat community. Free copies can be picked up at various locations throughout Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hague. Subscriptions are also available both within and outside of the Netherlands. Subscription fees are for a full year and a new issue will be delivered to you each month.
- The Xpat Journal - For expats looking for more technical information, such as healthcare, taxes, job searches, schools, housing, legal issues, and more. This quarterly publication has been "the premier English language magazine for expatriates living in the Netherlands" since 1998 and is available via subscription.
- ACCESS Magazine* - Yet another free publication, ACCESS Magazine is a product of expat organization ACCESS. Available in various locations throughout Amsterdam and The Hague, this quarterly magazine can also be purchased individually online for a small fee. The publication is also available for reading online at the ACCESS website. General information on lifestyle, events, and culture are featured in this magazine.
The Xpat Journal - 45%
ACCESS Magazine - 18%
The Holland Times - 9%
XM Magazine - 9%
Family-Matters Magazine - 0%
Other - 0%
None of the above - 45%At the time of the polling, I was unaware of The Local Expat, so only the last 5 publications were included in the poll. The poll also closed before XM and Family-Matters Magazines were taken out of circulation. Thanks to everyone who took part!
Have you read any of the publications on the list? If so, what do you think of them? Do you find them helpful? If not, why? Are there any other expat print publications not on the list that you would like to recommend?
*denotes publications I have written for and can personally vouch for their high quality. Unless otherwise noted, I am also a subscriber to each of the above publications.